It is a topics are that are gaining popularity on one or more social media platforms for a limited period of time. E-commerce businesses can see social media trends, find what’s generating consumer interest, and leverage current conversations.
Trend topics often revolve around popular cultural events such as:
- current events
- celebrity announcements
- television premieres
- social issues
- the latest news
- viral content.
Trending topics typically have a retention period of one day to a week, but there is no limit to how long a topic will remain popular.
However, Trend topics are determined by an algorithm created by the site on which the topic is displayed. Most platforms customize the topics displayed based on the users who visit your website, taking into account their location, previous likes and searches, and the users they follow. For example, users who follow Target will see popular promotions, and members of the Cup Collector Group will see trendy online ceramic stores.
5 Tools to Find Trending Topics Online
If you want to know what’s trending online, you may be attracted to Twitter first. It’s the perfect social platform for breaking news and trending content. Whether you’re watching an Oscar or a college football game, you can chat in real-time about what’s happening. This is even easier with the # hashtag.
1. BuzzFeed – BuzzFeed offers a wealth of social news and entertainment. It’s definitely not the New York Times, but BuzzFeed shows what’s happening in popular culture. You can browse the content in the style-to-book section, and the trends section shows the most popular posts.
2. Google Trends – Google Trends helps you find trend searches and the most popular searches in different categories. You can search for specific topics in your area or find recent trend searches. The good thing about Google Trends is that the information is directly based on the search. This is great for creating content with organic traffic.
3. BuzzSumo – BuzzSumo is a great resource for finding hot topics and key influencers. Simply enter a subject, keyword, or domain to perform a search. Results are filtered based on the total number of content shared on various social media channels such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Pinterest.
4. Quora – Quora provides members with a personalized feed of information and encourages them to answer questions in their area of expertise. The company’s mission is to “share and expand knowledge of the world” by creating a huge database of questions and answers.
5. Reddit – Reddit has its own trending topics. Some of the things here are ridiculous, but this “Internet front page” can give you the pulsation of current popular culture.